I’m back, and stuff! And it’s already time for another paleo challenge. The I Am CrossFit Challenge with CrossFit Fort Wayne is an eight week nutrition and fitness challenge. You earn points for the following:
- Body composition
- Everyone will be measured and have his/her body fat percentage determined during the week prior to the challenge. We will be performing measurements of arms, hips, waist, and thighs which will be combined for a total measurement. Measurements and body fat percentage will be repeated at the end of the challenge and scored for percentage improvement.
- Everyone will participate in the baseline workout prior to the challenge as a performance measurement. It will be repeated again at the end of the challenge and scored for percentage improvement.
- Every team member will begin each week with 4 points. You can earn a total of 8 points or lose all 4 for a total of 0. Points are earned for nutrition, workouts and sleep.
Nutrition is, of course, strict paleo, so that means I’ve got a NO list again. NO:
- grains/starches (corn, soy products, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, fries, etc.)
- sugar (refined, artificial, or “natural”)
- dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk)
- legumes (beans, peanuts)
- alcohol, soda, or other diet drinks
I’ll complete the baseline workout tomorrow morning. It looks like this:
40 Air squats
30 Ab-Mat Sit-Ups
I think sleep is going to be the hardest part – you’re aiming for 8 hours a night. This will be particularly tricky on the days I get up at 5 to work out at 6. . .like tomorrow. On to the food!
I didn’t actually know that the challenge started today. I was out of town for the weekend, and thought that it started on Monday. So I didn’t have any food prepared to start my day, which began with about a 3.5 hour drive from Cincinnati to Fort Wayne. Needless to say, breakfast was less than ideal, and may or may not be scored as a cheat–that’s up to my coach to decide.
I had some date-coconut balls that were stashed in my car from my drive out to Cincinnati. I ate them along with a large cup of black coffee from Sidewinder Coffee in Northside (I love this place!), and half of a kombucha. Pretty sugary breakfast. I stopped for groceries when I got home, and ate some Applegate roast turkey breast.
I actually cut my visit short so I could get home and make plenty of food today. Starting with chocolate chili, which I made with ground turkey and bison (free-range/grass-fed/organic, natch). I love this chili recipe, but it’s very…meaty. I normally put it over some roast spaghetti squash, but this time I made cauliflower rice (in coconut oil with allspice and a little cumin). It was delish.
I also roasted up a nice chicken from Creakey Acres Farm. I sort of follow this Jamie Oliver recipe, using coconut oil and whatever herbs and veggies I happen to have around. This time it was white onion, green onion, carrot, and fresh rosemary. I didn’t have a lemon, so I used a tangerine. Holy crud did it turn out great! I think it may have been because I was cooking two meals at once, and just let the chicken rest for a really long time, probably two hours. It was herby and moist and perfectly browned. Glorious! I also roasted up some sweet potatoes. My dinner was a nice thigh chunk and half a sweet potato with coconut butter.
I will get my fish oil and sleep points for Sunday, and hopefully all of my food points as well.